Keeping participants’ personal information safe and secure is First Campus’ top priority. In readiness for the introduction of the new data protection law on the 25th May, we would like to inform you that going forward the First Campus Partnership will be changing the legal basis for processing data but the reasons for collecting and processing the data have not changed.
As part of the widening access agenda promoted by the Welsh Government, First Campus processes personal data as it is necessary for it to perform a task in the public interest and for its official functions. From 25th May, First Campus will be using ‘Public Interest’ as our legal reason for processing personal data and ‘Substantial Public Interest’ for processing special category data.
First Campus collects data on individuals for the following five main reasons.
- For the purposes of monitoring which allows First Campus to:
– fulfil compulsory external reporting requirements to regulatory bodies such as the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW).
– provide a clear picture of the activities we deliver and the people we work with.
– ensure that we are reaching those that could benefit most from outreach activities.
- For the purposes of research and evaluation which helps us to assess the effectiveness of different initiatives on widening participation to Higher Education. This includes the anonymous long-term tracking of participants’ education journeys, to identify how many First Campus participants go on to study at university.
- Identify participants who belong to groups, which are under-represented in Higher Education and to ensure that people from these groups are given priority access to First Campus activities. For further information on this please see www.hefcw.ac.uk/policy_areas/widening_access/reaching_wider_initiative.aspx
- Ensure the health and safety and wellbeing of all participants in our programmes and to assist with pastoral and welfare needs e.g. ensuring that we are aware of medical conditions and disabilities.
- To send relevant and necessary information regarding forthcoming activities as well as marketing communications.
Further information regarding data protection can be found at: