FE Placement 2016/17
Closing date for Applications Monday 3rd October 2016 with the Interview process being completed by Friday 14th October 2016.
Ground breaking FE sports project set to continue for 2016/17
An innovative project motivating College students to become more active has been boosted by news of a third year of funding from First Campus. Managed jointly by ColegauCymru and First Campus the project provides opportunities for university sports students to work in FE colleges, developing new and exciting sports and fitness activities, and is looking to build on the success of the last two years.
In years 1 and 2, sports students from the University of South Wales and Cardiff Metropolitan University helped to develop new sports and fitness activities for over 800 learners in colleges in South Wales. Tasked with trying to work with inactive groups and particularly girls who may have become disengaged with sport and PE, the students developed short programmes of activities based on student feedback.
“Working in partnership with CollegeWales on this project we’re able to provide opportunities for hundreds of FE students to engage with HE students, aiming to raise their awareness and aspirations of Higher Education.” Chris Webb, First Campus
“The project has provided a really exciting new approach to developing new sports and activity in FE colleges. The skills and knowledge of the university students has provided a valuable resource for colleges and highlighted the benefit of using young people to engage with their peers. The continued support of First Campus will see the project grow into its second year and encourage more college students to get active.” Rob Baynham, Sports Coordinator ColegauCymru
Colleges Wales / First Campus Sport Development Officer (placement)
(This position is available for both single and double module placements)
Closing date for Applications Monday 3rd October 2016 / Interview process will be completed by Friday 14th October 2016
- Sports Development - responsible for implementing and co-ordinating the delivery of a Sport Activities Programme at one of 6 designated colleges.
- Event Management – Coordinate and deliver talks on university life and plan and deliver a sports specific visit to the University of South Wales.
Your time will be split between: developing a bespoke sport and activity offer in order to encourage greater participation amongst targeted hard to reach groups (e.g. girls, inactive 16+) and; raising awareness and aspirations of HE through talks and visits.
- Assist with the implementation of the sports programme in the designated college.
- To be responsible for the development of new and additional extra-curricular opportunities both on and off site to reflect the needs of the students within the designated college.
- To work towards the provision of sustainable lifelong participation through links with community partners.
- To assist with the implementation of appropriate monitoring and evaluation mechanisms and the collection and collation of appropriate data to measure the effectiveness of the programme.
- Administration and reporting of First Campus activities, evaluating, tracking and measuring the impact of First Campus activities.
- To ensure that the needs of young people of all abilities, including young people with disabilities, are taken into account by the programme.
- To adhere to the effective implementation of the college policies and procedures including health and safety.
- To raise awareness and aspirations of higher education and progression pathways.
Requirements of the job/placement
- 7 hours per week contact over a 20 week period to cover both school and community settings.
- Timescales – October ½ term to the end of the Spring term
- Course work/ assignment to be linked to placement.
- Log book/sign off proforma to be issued to students